*
banner

Scots let down by Tattoo decision

The Scottish Brass Band Association and the Royal Nova Scotia International Tattoo at odds over cancelled National Youth Band trip to Canada...

NYBBS
 

Contradictory statements have been issued between the Royal Nova Scotia International Tattoo (RNSIT) and the Scottish Brass Band Association (SBBA) over the alleged cancellation of a proposed trip by the National Youth Band of Scotland to participate in the world famous Canadian festival in 2016.

Cost

It follows the issuing of a statement from SBBA that said that the RNSIT had withdrawn its invitation to the National Youth Band of Scotland to perform at the 2016 event on grounds of cost.

The SBBA press statement (21st December), reported that "...the National Youth Brass Band of Scotland's (NYBBS) invitation to perform at the 2016 Royal Nova Scotia International Tattoo has been withdrawn."

It added: "A phone call was received by Carrie Boax, SBBA President, on Friday night, December 18th, from Jim Forde, a producer of the Tattoo, who said the event could no longer afford for NYBBS to attend."

Extremely disappointed

It went on to quote Carrie Boax, SBBA President saying: "We are extremely disappointed to hear that NYBBS will be unable to perform at the Royal Nova Scotia International Tattoo.

Preparations for the trip were at an advanced stage and our talented musicians were looking forward to doing their country proud on the international stage.

We are extremely disappointed that RNSIT has withdrawn its offer, but discussions are already well underway regarding alternative arrangements to ensure our NYBBS members receive the musical experience they deserve in 2016.

Members of the SBBA Executive have contacted NYBBS members to keep them fully updated. Any fees and expenses which have been paid to date will be fully reimbursed."

Strongly denied

However, this opinion of events has been strongly denied in a statement issued on behalf of the RNSIT by Assistant Director Craig Roberts, in which he outlined their understanding of the time line and decision process involved.

He states: "Though discussions had been entered into with SBBA (re: the potential participation of the National Youth Brass Band of Scotland in the RNSIT), no official invitation for NYBBS to perform in the 2016 Tattoo had been issued, or received by SBBA.

As was explained to SBBA representatives — the final line up of Tattoo performers is discussed and confirmed at the annual Production Meetings, held in late November, with formal invitations being issued to confirmed participating groups thereafter."

Preparations for the trip were at an advanced stage and our talented musicians were looking forward to doing their country proud on the international stageCarrie Boax, SBBA President

Informed

He added: "The SBBA President was informed in writing on November 12th that issues had been raised over the participation of the NYBBS in the Tattoo.

Confirmation that the band's participation would not be possible in 2016 was then issued, following the official RNSIT Production Meetings, on November 23rd.

Included within the latter communication however was the invitation for a small group of administrative/musical staff to visit the Tattoo in 2016 (together with a smaller group of NYBBS musicians if desired/possible) in order to experience the full requirements of participation in the RNSIT and to discuss with the Production Team featuring the full National Youth Band in a future edition of the show, plus the health & safety requirements, risk assessment and chaperoning arrangements that would be mandatory for that.

A response to the latter is still yet to be received."

Resolute

4BR understands that SBBA is resolute in its opinion that they were expressly given an official invitation to take part in the event and feel deeply let down — leaving them to have to cancel proposed fund-raising activities.

In contrast, the RNCIT stated that '...it looks forward to continuing its good relations with brass bands worldwide, and to welcoming many additional brass bands & brass band musicians to Canada, Nova Scotia and the RNSIT in future years."

Become a supporter and help make our future secure.

4barsrest continues to be a proudly independent voice. There are no paywalls to overcome to be able to enjoy what we do to keep our journalism at the heart of the brass banding world. Support us with a one-off donation or subscribe from just £2.50 per month.

Support us    


Brass in Concert

New adjudication system being considered for Brass in Concert

May 17 • Adjudication rankings of equal value to be considered in potential revamp of judging at the Brass in Concert Championships later this year.


winter and Storheim

Norwegian brass band talent spotlighted for Maestro direction

May 17 • Eline Storheim and Samuel Winter have been chosen to be part of a two year conducting course.


wobplay

New releases set for Wobplay

May 17 • New CD releases from Black Dyke Band, Birmingham Citadel and Bone-afide alongside the Elgar International Festival will soon be able to be enjoyed on the digital platform.


Lostock

Tynan departs at Lostock Hall

May 17 • The brief but successful musical partnership between Lostock Hall Band and conductor Tommy Tynan has come to an end.


Harlow Brass Band - SPRING CONCERT - AN ANIMATION SENSATION

Saturday 16 May • St Andrew's Methodist Church. The Stow. Harlow. CM20 3AF


Sherborne Town Band - Free-Music in the park

Sunday 17 May • Dorchester- Park Bandstand DT1 1RG


Newstead Brass - Mansfield MVC - Brass and Voices

Sunday 24 May • Forest Town Arena. Clipstone Road West,. Mansfield NG19 0EE


Contest: Whit Friday March Contests

Friday 29 May • Saddleworth & Tameside OL3


The Hepworth Band - Brassband Burgermusik Luzern

Saturday 30 May • Dewsbury Minster, Vicarage Road, Dewsbury, West Yorkshire WF12 8DD


Cambrian Brass

May 16 • We're always happy to hear from anyone interested in joining a friendly and supportive band, whether you're returning to banding or looking for a new challenge.


Delph Band

May 15 • We are seeking an enthusiastic and musically skilled Associate Conductor to lead and develop our band alongside our current Musical Director Phil Goodwin. . Rehearsals are Mondays and Wednesdays, 8-10pm at Delph Band Club.


Tintwistle Band

May 15 • We have a vacancy for a soprano cornet, and with lots of exciting engagements coming up we would love to get this seat filled!. We rehearse every Monday and Thursday 8-10pm at our own bandroom in Tintwistle, under the baton of our superb MD, Jim Henson.


James Garlick

BMus (Hons), QTS
Conductor, Band Trainer, Adjudicator, Tutor


               

 © 2026 4barsrest.com Ltd