*
banner

Evans resigns from National Youth Band of Scotland

An unacceptable way of doing business leads Richard Evans to resign from his position as MD of the National Youth Band of Scotland.

Richard Evans
 

The future direction of the National Youth Band of Scotland, that according to Richard Evans, its conductor of the past 21 years, "...holds a way of doing business... that is not acceptable to me", has led to him resigning from the high profile post with immediate effect.

Meeting

4BR understands that following a recent meeting with the President of the Scottish Brass Band Association (SBBA), George Burt, he was subsequently invited to attend a board meeting of the National Youth Band on Wednesday (13th November) to put forward the points he had raised in correspondence between both parties.

However, already committed to attend a Worshipful Company of Musicians dinner in London on the same day, and with what he understood was a process of decision making about his future role and that of the development of the band being driven by an ‘ill conceived plan’ from a small, unrepresentative Artistic Sub-Committee, he felt that the situation had already reached a point where he could no longer be part of the National Youth Band organisation.

His resignation has been confirmed by letter to SBBA President George Burt.

Emotional

Still clearly very emotional, Richard Evans told 4BR that he felt he had no other option left following what he considered a serious breakdown in communication and trust.

"I feel desperately sad that I have had to take this course of action.

But under the present set up that is now taking what I see as damaging decisions over the musical future of such a wonderful band, and the lack of clarity from SBBA surrounding my future and that of the tutors who have worked so brilliantly with the young players over the years, I felt it was the only course necessary."

Copy seen

4BR has seen a copy of the resignation letter sent to SBBA in which he clearly outlines his pride in the youth band, as well as concerns that have led to his decision.

In it he says, "...nothing has given me more pleasure and satisfaction than working with the players at NYBBS and guiding its development to its present high standard and its undoubted international standing. We have come a very long way together."

Concern

However, his concern over the way the members of staff and tutors have been treated is clear.

He adds: "... without any consultation with me, before any notice had been given to me of new brooms sweeping clean, the tutors were high-handedly informed not to expect to be hired next year.

These are people of the highest calibre, to whom the Band members are very attached, both for their musical input and for the friendship that goes with banding.

Why this rupture all of a sudden? And what happened to good manners in the way they were addressed?"

Pointed criticism

His most pointed criticism however is directed at the NYBBS Artistic sub-committee, (consisting of Kenneth Crookston, Andrew Duncan and Jennifer Martin), which he believes has been responsible for trying to drive through an ‘ill-conceived’ plan’ that will lead to a level of exclusivity rather than inclusion that will damage the musical prospects of future generations of young players in Scotland.

He adds: "...what was the musical future going to be like, controlled by an Artistic Committee of three persons only one of whom had been a professional musician?"

Heartfelt plea

He concludes his letter of resignation with a heartfelt plea: "The young people who make up the Band are not necessarily fully developed players or personalities.

Experienced teachers know that the young, from very different backgrounds and with different talents, develop at different speeds. Some need more time than others and some have poorer instruction than others.

The grind of adult life will be on them soon enough. Let them make friendships, let them learn about the possibilities the wide world offers that their local world might not be able to show them. And then there are the wonders of the world of music to discover.

Give as many young people as possible the chance to see the light. I beg."

Sources

Sources both close to and within the Scottish Brass Band Association have told 4BR that they believe that the ongoing situation has been handled very poorly.

It is now understood that the future of the seven member NYBBS Board and its Artistic sub-committee could well come under debate and consideration at Wednesday’s meeting.

As one source, who wished to remain anonymous at present, told 4BR: "There is a very clear committee structure within SBBA which does not appear to have worked properly over this matter.

There is real concern over the way in which this situation has been allowed to develop, and a number of people will be asking for answers. Things must change."

Initial concerns

Initial concerns over the future plans for the National Youth Band were raised by former SBBA Development Officer Alan Edmond.

He subsequently told 4BR, that he was disappointed but not surprised at Richard Evans’s decision, but hoped that it will also lead to fundamental changes in the way the youth band organisation is run within SBBA.

"The lack of transparency in which a NYBBS committee structure should be run and administered has been the core to this problem, and a situation which has resulted in Richard Evans resigning.

Until those structures are clearly defined and administered in a democratic organisation, the future of the National Youth Band of Scotland and SBBA will be open to further scrutiny from its members."

what was the musical future going to be like, controlled by an Artistic Committee of three persons only one of whom had been a professional musician?Richard Evans

SBBA response

The following response from SBBA to the resignation of Richard Evans has been received by 4BR:

"It is with regret that The Scottish Brass Band Association announces that Richard Evans has decided to resign as Musical Director of the National Youth Brass Band of Scotland.

George Burt, SBBA President, commented: "Following recent discussions with Richard, where we came to an agreement that he was to continue being an integral part as the premier band's MD until 2015, his letter of resignation was an unexpected disappointment.

SBBA, and me personally, are immensely grateful for the support he has given the Association since it became the parent body of this remarkable youth music organisation.

His input to the creation and implementation of the new NYBBS development strategy announced last year has been invaluable and was much appreciated. Whilst there were areas with which he has recently disagreed, I had hoped that we could resolve these."

Richard has been the NYBBS Musical Director since 1992, and during this time has led the band on two major tours abroad — to Germany in 2002 and Japan in 2008.

In 2010, SBBA was proud to formally recognise his considerable achievements over these many years by the presentation of its highest honour — The President's Award.

George Burt continued: "Whilst this news is undoubtedly a disappointment for all involved with NYBBS, Richard has already been kind enough to recommend several possibilities for his successor, and we will now do our best to secure an appropriate replacement as soon as possible."

Become a supporter and help make our future secure.

4barsrest continues to be a proudly independent voice. There are no paywalls to overcome to be able to enjoy what we do to keep our journalism at the heart of the brass banding world. Support us with a one-off donation or subscribe from just £2.50 per month.

Support us    


bbe

Progress and challenges reported at BBE AGM

February 16 • The recent Annual General Meeting of Brass Bands England saw reports of consolidation and progress as well as resetting and rebuilding.


Castell Beaumaris

Wright & Round: Castell Beaumaris (Andy Wareham)

February 16 • A new homage addition to the iconic castle marches of the great T.J. Powell from the pen of Andy Wareham.


Italian Brass BAND

New conducting talent supported in Rome

February 16 • The Italian Brass Band continues to help support its emerging brass band culture with its masterclass conducting series.


Royal College of Music

Royal College of Music offers weekend of Youth Brass tuition

February 15 • The RCM Youth Brass weekend will offer youngsters an invaluable opportunity of practical workshops and coaching this April.


Regent Hall Concerts - Royal Greenwich Brass Band

Friday 27 February • Regent Hall. (The Salvation Army). 275 Oxford Street. London W1C2DJ


Regent Hall Concerts - Oompah Brass XXL

Friday 27 February • Regent Hall. (The Salvation Army). 275 Oxford Street. London W1C2DJ


Regent Hall Concerts - Royal Greenwich Brass Band

Sunday 1 March • St. Alfege Church. Greenwich Church Street. London SE10 9BJ


Regent Hall Concerts - London Central Fellowship Band

Saturday 7 March • Regent Hall. (The Salvation Army). 275 Oxford Street. London W1C2DJ


Regent Hall Concerts - Regent Hall Band of the Salvation Army

Tuesday 10 March • Regent Hall. (The Salvation Army). 275 Oxford Street. London W1C2DJ


West Wycombe Brass Band

February 15 • West Wycombe Brass Band are looking for a Flugel and Horn players, any position. Rehearsals Wednesday 7.45-9.45pm in own band hall. Give us a call or email.


Tintwistle Band

February 15 • We need a 2nd baritone player to help complete our team. . We are competing in the second section midlands area next month, but due to illness now also need to fill this seat for the contest.. We enjoy a full calendar of concerts,contests,and social events.


Cambrian Brass

February 11 • We are an inclusive and hard-working brass band seeking a Percussionist on a project basis to join us for the Welsh Regional Brass Band Championships on Saturday 14 March. This is a great opportunity to perform as part of a focused and supportive team.


Jenny Gartside

Bsc Hons
Jeweller, brass band themed jewellery and pin badges


               

 © 2026 4barsrest.com Ltd