*
banner

Arts venues still wait for government bail out cash

Arts Council England under fire for inability to get emergency funding to venues on time.

Seats
  Many venues remain closed to public performances

Arts Council England (ACE) is coming under severe criticism following the revelation that theatres, halls and arts venues in England, Wales and Northern Ireland are yet to receive a penny of the £1.57bn emergency arts fund announced by the government in July.

Complexity and volume

The Observer newspaper revealed in an article on 4th October by Arts and Media correspondent Vanessa Thorpe, that they had hoped to hear what they would receive in the first week of October.

However, this was not the case, with ACE stating that "the complexity and volume of applications"had given rise to the delay.

The news comes at a critical time for the sector with leading playwright and screenwriter James Graham stating that the financial help was needed three months ago and that "now, for many, its almost too late — mass redundancies, freelancers on zero income and in dire straits."

Pathetic

One venue 4BR spoke to added: "It took time for the government to acknowledge that we were drowning before announcing financial life jackets were available.

Now it's as if the Arts Council are asking us all to wait until they fill in yet another application form before they throw one out in our direction before we finally disappear below the waves. It's pathetic to hear the excuses."

Last week numerous leading venues across the country were lit up in red to highlight their plight.

Anger was also shown when the business secretary, Alok Sharma, urged those employed in the arts to retrain for "better jobs".

Apology

In response to the article Arts Council England stated: "We understand this is an anxious time for many people and many organisations up and down the country. We apologise for the week's delay in letting the first tranche of grants applicants know decisions, but we will still be able to get money to them this month."

They added: "Given the volume and complexity of the applications that came through to this brand new fund, we've had to do additional due diligence to make sure money from the public purse is spent responsibly.

We are working hard to get this much-needed funding out as quickly as possible, to those who need it most."

now, for many, its almost too late — mass redundancies, freelancers on zero income and in dire straitsPlaywright, James Graham

Auction

In a further article on the classic fm website by journalist Maddy Shaw Roberts it said that the financial problems had led to Royal Shakespeare Company entering redundancy consultations, whilst the Royal Opera House has announced it is auctioning off a multi-million pound David Hockney portrait.

It also stated that there was "further anxiety"surrounding which venues will receive a grant after the government said for applicants to be successful, they must produce an "innovative plan for how they will operate and be sustainable for the remainder of this financial year", while also being able "to demonstrate their international, national or local significance".

Become a supporter and help make our future secure.

4barsrest continues to be a proudly independent voice. There are no paywalls to overcome to be able to enjoy what we do to keep our journalism at the heart of the brass banding world. Support us with a one-off donation or subscribe from just £2.50 per month.

Support us    


UniBrass Band Camp

Time to sign up for Band Camp

May 19 • If you want to enjoy the UniBrass Band Camp experience this year then there is still time to sign up.


Bradwell Silver

Bradwell to celebrate 125th anniversary with special premieres

May 19 • Two newly commissioned works by composers Alan Ferne and Joe Galuska will help Bradwell Silver Band celebrate its 125th anniversary this weekend.


nybbgb

75 youngsters to enjoy expert NYBBGB audition help

May 19 • 75 young players will enjoy expert tuition help at a trio of 'Ready to Shine' skills workshops later this month with the National Youth Brass Band of Great Britain.


Silk Brass

Silk ties cut after 11 inspired years

May 19 • The long standing musical partnership between Silk Brass and MD, Tony Wyatt has reached its last chord.


Newstead Brass - Mansfield MVC - Brass and Voices

Sunday 24 May • Forest Town Arena. Clipstone Road West,. Mansfield NG19 0EE


Contest: Whit Friday March Contests

Friday 29 May • Saddleworth & Tameside OL3


The Hepworth Band - Brassband Burgermusik Luzern

Saturday 30 May • Dewsbury Minster, Vicarage Road, Dewsbury, West Yorkshire WF12 8DD


Fulham Brass Band - Summer Concert

Friday 5 June • St Dionis Church, Parsons Green SW6 4UH


Sherborne Town Band - Friends

Sunday 7 June • Sherborne, Dorset-Pageant Gardens DT9 3NP


Regent Brass

May 20 • Regent Brass (Championship Section) seek a Bb Bass to join our friendly, musically ambitious Central London band. We enjoy a varied and balanced schedule of concerts and contests, and regularly premiere new music.


wantage silver band

May 19 • Wantage Band (Championship Section) are looking for a BACK ROW CORNET player to complete the band. As current Welsh Open Champions and being placed third in Stevenage, it's an exciting time to join the band with a fantastic schedule of concerts coming up.


Harrogate Band

May 19 • We are looking for a front row and a back row cornet player to complete our team. Interesting mix of engagements and contests. Rehearsals Wednesday 8pm at our own bandroom located next to Hornbeam Park train station. Great transport links


Michael Bennett

BSc, RNCM (Perf)
Performer, Composer, Arranger, Teacher


               

 © 2026 4barsrest.com Ltd