*
banner

Existential threat faces theatre, music and culture venues

House of Commons Culture Select Committee accuses government of failing to recognise threat to performances venues.

Seats
  Empty seats could become a permanent feature of performance venues.

The government has been accused of consistently failing to recognise and respond to the "existential threat" faced by live theatre, music and other culture venues due to the Coronavirus pandemic.

Consistently failed

The House of Commons Culture Select Committee said Ministers, "consistently failed to recognise" the challenges Covid-19 posed, with Chairperson, Julian Knight MP stating that the £1.57 billion support package was "nothing more than an Elastoplast over a gaping wound".

The prime Minster Boris Johnson yesterday stated that there were "open questions"about how the government had responded to the virus and reiterated his promise that an independent enquiry will be set up into the pandemic.

Emergency packages

Meanwhile, the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) insisted it had "worked with urgency" to provide support to the arts sector, saying thousands of organisations and hundreds of thousands of jobs had been saved by its furlough and loan schemes.

They stated: "Our £1.57 billion investment is the largest ever one-off cash injection into culture in this country. We have also worked with our arms length bodies on additional emergency packages and provided billions in support to charities to help those most in need."

Evidence cited said that potentially 70% of theatres and production companies could go out of business, with up to 93% of grassroots music venues facing closure4BR

Closures

However, many continue to disagree, with reports that a "significant proportion" of theatres are expected to close due to the crisis with mass redundancies.

Evidence cited said that potentially 70% of theatres and production companies could go out of business, with up to 93% of grassroots music venues facing closure.

Conservative MP Mr Knight told the BBC that the reality of the current situation was that "we are facing a cataclysm in the arts and cultural space"that required, "a long term plan"not "just a bailout".

Become a supporter and help make our future secure.

4barsrest continues to be a proudly independent voice. There are no paywalls to overcome to be able to enjoy what we do to keep our journalism at the heart of the brass banding world. Support us with a one-off donation or subscribe from just £2.50 per month.

Support us    


Vertommen

Vertommen takes on new role in Leuven

August 19 • Dr. Luc Vertommen becomes the new Head of Band Conducting at Luca School of Arts in Leuven.


Hinnerup

Rising Stars celebrate 10th anniversary in Hinnerup

August 19 • The 10th anniversary of the Hinnerup Gardens Summer School has just been celebrated in Denmark.


Buckley

The Wynne winning formula celebrated by Royal Buckley

August 19 • John Wynne's 60 years of outstanding commitment and dedication to Royal Buckley Band has been marked by the band.


Andy Hunter

Hunter takes baton at Spennymoor

August 19 • Andy Hunter is the new MD at Spennymoor Town Band.


Regent Hall Concerts - Cross Bones Trombone Quintet

Friday 21 August • Regent Hall (The Salvation Army). 275 Oxford Street. London W1C2DJ


Sherborne Town Band - Free-Music in the park

Sunday 23 August • Sherborne, Dorset-Pageant Gardens DT9 3NP


Sherborne Town Band - Free-Music in the park

Sunday 13 September • Sherborne, Dorset-Pageant Gardens DT9 3NP


Regent Hall Concerts - The Band of the Grenadier Guards

Thursday 17 September • Regent Hall (The Salvation Army). 275 Oxford Street. London W1C2DJ


Regent Hall Concerts - The Duchess of Edinburgh String Orchestra

Friday 18 September • Regent Hall (The Salvation Army). 275 Oxford Street. London W1C2DJ


Putney and Wimbledon Brass Band

August 18 • Putney and Wimbledon Band are looking for a percussionist, ideally tune although the ability to play an anvil is an absolute must! We play exciting music with lots of percussion so there's plenty to keep you occupied.


Putney and Wimbledon Brass Band

August 18 • Putney and Wimbledon Brass Band are looking for brass and percussion players to join their new concert band who will be making music for the good folk in London, without the pressure of contesting.


Marconi Brass

August 15 • We are looking for a cornet to join our friendly, ambitious second section band under the baton of our Musical Director, Jonathan Crowhurst. Based in Rochester, Kent, we rehearse on a Monday evening at Holcombe Hockey Club, 19:45-21:30.


Andrew White

MA(Ed Man), B Ed (Hons), BBCM, ADNCB, PGCE, Cert Ed
Conductor, Arranger, Adjudicator & Educationist


               

 © 2026 4barsrest.com Ltd