*
banner

No viable reopening for majority of Albert Hall events

The Royal Albert Hall CEO, Craig Hassall says that the venue cannot viably reopen for the vast majority of events and that without support it will run out of money by early 2021.

aLBERT hALL
  The CEO says that the venue will run out of money by early 2021

Ahead of the proposed decision to be made by Kapitol Promotions into being able to host the 2020 National Championship of Great Britain top section final at the Royal Albert Hall in October, the venue's Chief Executive Officer has confirmed that under latest social distancing rules he feels that the hall "cannot viably reopen for the vast majority of events."

CEO post

In his latest post on the Royal Albert Hall website reviewing the past 100 days since the hall closed to the public, CEO Craig Hassall stated that despite taking out a £5 million loan and receiving donations, the venue will have depleted all their reserves and will run out of cash by "early 2021".

He stated: "...the Hall and venues like us find ourselves in a perilous situation."

In the blog posting he pointed out that under current social distancing rules the capacity of the Albert Hall would be reduced to 36%, with it having to run at between 80%-90% "for us to break even".

Cannot viably reopen

And whilst he said that "some one-off events will be viable" and that the BBC will be able to host live concerts for the final two weeks of the 2020 Proms, he confirmed with stark clarity that "...we cannot viably reopen for the vast majority of events."

In looking at a possible answer he said that there was a need for a "clear conditional timeline for reopening venues without social distancing, alongside a comprehensive business support package."

he confirmed with stark clarity that "we cannot viably reopen for the vast majority of events."4BR

Business support

He added: "The business support package should, most urgently, include an extension of the furlough scheme and support for the self-employed to prevent mass redundancies."

The article stated that the Royal Albert Hall costs £12.7m a year to maintain its Grade I-listed building and £14.3m to pay its staff.

In the 100 days since closure they would have expected revenue of £11m but instead had to refund nearly £5m worth of tickets, most of which were sold last year.

Become a supporter and help make our future secure.

4barsrest continues to be a proudly independent voice. There are no paywalls to overcome to be able to enjoy what we do to keep our journalism at the heart of the brass banding world. Support us with a one-off donation or subscribe from just £2.50 per month.

Support us    


SEWBBA

Welsh bands urged to attend Safeguarding seminar

April 2 • A special Safeguarding Training Seminar is to be hosted by the South East Wales Brass Band Association this weekend, with bands urged to attend.


Cheltenham

Cheltenham National Final schedule announced.

April 2 • The weekend of the 13th and 14th September will see 75 bands take to the stage.


Kerkrade

World Music Contest announces test-pieces

April 2 • Works by Jan de Haan, Lucy Pankhurst, Etienne Crausaz, Thierry Deleruyelle and Liz Lane will test bands wishing to be crowned World Champion in Kerkrade next year.


Carlton Brass

95 year old leads Carlton Area celebrations

April 2 • The remarkable Ken Dunkin led the celebrations as CarLton Brass recently won the Midlands Region Second Section title in Bedworth.


Hathersage Band - Hathersage Village Spring Concert

Saturday 5 April • Hathersage Methodist Church, Main Road, Hathersage S32 1BB


Bilton Silver Rugby Band - Bilton Silver at the Musicals

Saturday 5 April • St Andrew's Church, Rugby CV21 3PT


Rushden Town Band - Hope Spring Concert

Saturday 5 April • Hope Methodist Church, Linnets Lane, Higham Ferrers, Northamptonshire NN10 8DE


Regent Hall Concerts - The Central Band of the Royal Air Force

Friday 25 April • Regent Hall (The Salvation Army). 275 Oxford Street. London. . W1C2DJ


Newstead Brass - Under Gaia

Saturday 26 April • Mansfield Palace Theatre. Leeming Street . Mansfield. Nottinghamshire NG18 1NG


Simon Langton Brass

April 1 • Due to forced retirement - Simon Langton Brass (Conductor Keith Demetriou Twyman) has a vacancy for an experienced back row cornet player. Position is negotiable as is a willingness to share your experience with our next generation of cornet players!


Ibstock Brick Brass

April 1 • Midlands Area Champions IBB have an opening for a full-time Tuba player (position negotiable) . . Ambitious and enjoying a varied concert/contest program, IBB are looking forward to the third section finals 2025. Rehearsals Mon/Thu in Coalville, M1 J22


Ibstock Brick Brass

April 1 • Midlands Area Champions IBB have an opening for an experienced percussionist. . . Ambitious and enjoying a varied concert/contest program, we are looking forward to the third section finals 2025. Rehearsals Mon/Thu in Coalville, close to M1 J22


Steve Pritchard-Jones

FTCL LTCL LDBBA DipMusEd GMus QTS NPQH
Conductor, Adjudicator, Teacher


               

 © 2025 4barsrest.com Ltd