The Association of Brass Band Adjudicators (AoBBA) has issued a statement following its investigation into the circumstances that led to the announcement of the wrong result at the recent Midlands Third Section Regional Championship contest.
The event that took place at Kenilworth College saw the Newhall Band announced as winner, although it transpired that the correct winner was in fact Stamford Brass. Prompt action was taken by the Regional Committee led by Regional Secretary Lesley Bentley in issuing the correct result, although unfortunately the trophy had already been presented.
AoBBA has issued is statement following its most recent conference meeting. It states:
"Following the results mix-up at the 2020 Midlands Third Section Regional competition, an investigation has been undertaken by an experienced member of the AoBBA Executive.
Following the investigation, a detailed report has been produced which lays out the terms of reference of the investigation, facts of the occurrence, conclusions and recommendations.
In summary, there was a human adjudicating error in the Midlands, rather than a fault of the Midlands Regional system, and as a result of this AoBBA have produced a report and safety checks to be circulated to our members to ensure this situation doesn't happen again.
The recommendations will also be circulated to Kapitol Promotions to help ensure consistency across the regions in the administration of the results collation and recording process. The document will be available for all to review on the AoBBA website and can be read below.
AoBBA would like to apologise to all the affected bands in the Midlands region for the error, especially to Kevin Holdgate and the Newhall Band, who were wrongly announced as winners at the results ceremony. The revised published results are correct."
The recommendations will also be circulated to Kapitol Promotions to help ensure consistency across the regions in the administration of the results collation and recording processAoBBA
Recommendations from inquiry into 2020 Midlands Regional Third Section Contest:
Recommendations: Adjudicators (AoBBA)
1. All members should be reminded that all paperwork should be completed by them in the box at the end of the contest. The Control Sheet and placings on the Remark Sheets should be checked and double-checked before leaving the box.
2. Adjudicators should avoid rearranging mark sheets in to placing order, but keep them in draw order.
3. Only adjudicators should write on Remark Forms and Control Sheets i.e. do not allow any other person including organisers and scrutineers to write numbers of placings on any sheets.
4. Members should not allow themselves to be hurried by any Steward or Contest Controller and should calmly, but as quickly as possible complete all relevant paperwork.
5. If points are not involved on the results then a clear description of the places should be made on the Control Sheet using letters as well as numbers i.e. 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. Try to avoid 2 columns of numbers which can be confused. Also, circle or indent the podium prizes.
6. Check and Double-check all paperwork before leaving the box and sign the Control Sheet.
7. After the Scrutineer has completed the Results Sheet, check and sign before the results are announced.
Recommendations: Contest Organisers, Contest Controllers, Scrutineers, Stewards
1. Organisers should make Control Sheets very clear and should issue strict instructions who should write what on the form i.e. only adjudicators should write placings on any paperwork. Columns should be clear i.e. for adjudicators only, for scrutineers only.
2. Adjudicators should never be hurried from the box at the conclusion of a contest and Stewards should wait for an indication from the adjudicators that they have completed their paperwork and are ready to leave the box.
3. Control Sheets should never be tampered with by scrutineers. If there is any query regarding the results the adjudicators should be approached confidentially before the Results Sheet is completed. Scrutineers should never write numbers on any sheets. They should only identify the bands by completing the 3rd Column
4. As a failsafe, it is recommended that before any results are announced, the adjudicators are to approve the Results Sheet completed by the Scrutineer and provision should be made on this sheet for the adjudicators to sign them off.