We had a great response from all of you wanting to test your brass band brains on Boxing Day despite your belly's being filled to the brim with turkey and Christmas pudding.
Lots of right and wrong answers — with the name of the conductor which should have been revealed to you being Cory MD, Philip Harper.
Our winner was Colin McHardy who we are still trying to contact!
Questions and Answers:
1. A side drum technique involving the use of alternative hands?
2. Composer of 106 Symphonies and the subject matter of a much neglected top section Area test piece from 1986 arranged by trombonist Harold Nash?
3. The deathly colour of the variation in Gilbert Vinter's iconic 'Spectrum'?
4. Italian musical term that literally means 'bound'?
5. The first part of the first ever European Championship test piece?
Answer: Introduction (Introduction, Elegy and Caprice)
6. Major who has won more top section Area titles than anyone else?
Answer: Peter Parkes
7. The one and only 'Wee Professor'?
Answer: Walter Hargreaves
8. 4th century Greek playwright who inspired a test piece about amphibians?
Answer: Aristophanes (Frogs ofâ€¦)
9. The name of Meyerbeer's operatic Devil and test piece of the 1868 British Open?
Answer: Robert (Robert Le Diable)
10. A test piece about a man punished for his ungodly deeds by being chained to a rock and having his liver pecked out by an eagle?
11. The name of the battery band that will make a return in 2017?
Answer: Ever Ready
12. 19th century Field Marshall with Christian names Johann Josef Wenzel Anton Franz Karl, who inspired a march traditionally played every New Year's Day in Vienna?