The Lower Section National Finals 2002
Second Section Prize Winners
First Place: Hade Edge
1. A rather uneasy opening - euph secure. B - tuning cornets? The
playing has a nice flow. C- can hear all the parts. Semis nicely
measured. D - good level for forte. Divisi cornets parts not together.
E - semis precise. Final link bars are nicely controlled.
2. A clean opening - small cornet clip. A - fine sound. B - good
tutti - all goes well. Attention to detail. Ensemble playing is
controlled. F - secure. A confident ending.
3. A good opening. A - nice flug/horn sound. B - you capture the
mood of this music. D - a compact tutti style. E - nice cornet link.
Neat semis. F - flug/horns nice p and lyrical style. G - euph has
shape and a fine sound. I - this is nicely placed to end.
4. A bright opening - semis link nicely. A - neat cornet style
- good xylo. B - all goes well. C - well done cornet. D - sop safe
- quavers move nicely. You capture the mood of the music. F - fine
playing. G - effective. H - build is nicely shaped. I - sop could
be warmer in the sound. J - neat quavers. Semis work well. K - neat
cornet. L - good tempo - you can cope. The ending was excellent.
This was a well played final movement. Good percussion - fine band
sounds. Fine dynamics. I enjoyed this - well done!! All the movements
1. Rhythmic feel evident immediately - flugel holds on well and
similar touches from euph. You build well to tutti mf/f/ff sounds
and work from tuned percussion is appreciated. E - cornets project
a little too much but joins well. Nice dim to close.
2. Not all assured to begin but horns to the rescue. Good dynamic
effects - D - Melodies come through well. F - cornet a little unhappy
again but good accel - a tempo rall - controlled finale.
3. Confident sounds to begin - soloists project well - nice touches
from flugel/cornet - mf at D - maybe over the top but nice texture
and balance - lovely pp before G. Nice build to I in terms of dynamics
(intonation?) - lovely push to piu forte.
4. Brisk. It settles a little to allow space for cornet and super
xylophone! B - not quite in tune. C - Well done. Detailed playing.
H - Good pushes. Cantabile section could be warmer (use of vibrato).
Very good ending.
Second Place: Brackley and District
1. Rhythm does not settle in opening bars. Ensemble not together.
B - be careful to play 6/8. C - semis neat - cornet/euph fine. F
is a shade heavy. D - it feels a shade heavy for the nature of the
music. E - secure. Ends well
2. A nice opening. The playing has sparkle. Percussion rather heavy
- but all the parts going in. The ensemble is tight. Glock fine.
4/8 tuning on final A - flugel
3. The tempo feels under. The music must flow. Flugel/cornet nice,
but the music must always move forward. Flug a shade flat. Bass
link must move on. D - nice sop. This is controlled playing but
the tempo must move on. E - can hear all the sounds. F - more warmth
please flug. G - euph comes over nicely - percussion detail is fine,
but this slow tempo gives some concern. I - good tutti. Nicely shaped
4. A bright tempo - can you cope? A - fine cornet - good support.
C - cornet almost 100% - well done. D - well done sop. E - the music
moves nicely. F - careful to hold ensemble. G - fine percussion.
H - link is nicely done. I - good sound - level for mf. J - percussion
- ensemble. K - a pity just a small clip cornet p percussion does
well. L - The ending was well executed. A good band percussion.
Excellent percussion. Might that very slow movement cost you? Well
1. Gentle lilt not quite achieved, just allow time/space for the
music to emerge. Lots of good playing. Ensemble is not always tight
- just the lack of 2 in a bar feel. The music certainly moves forward
- nice effects from tuned percussion.
2. Bounces well - nice accents - one or two slips but so much vitality
and dynamic detail. I enjoy glock work again. A vigorous approach
that real life and sparkle.
3. Nice touches from soloists (esp cornet) Poco rall noted. A little
static for my liking but nice warm sounds at D. (thanks sop) Lovely
texture before F. Lots of control but tempo at quaver = 80. Nice
tuned percussion work again. Nice ending.
4. Lively - lots of detail - well toned cornet. D - hesitant. F
- Rocks slightly. I/J nice feel/balance. K - so near. Good finish
Third Place: Shirley
1. Rhythm to open - flug nice - euph fine sound. B- good controlled
sound. The music has a nicely controlled flow. C - a shade heavy
for mp - but all goes well. Semis nicely measured. D - only a light
f please. E - Semis measured. 9/8 some lost entries. Final chord
is well executed.
2. Neat rhythm to open. B- ensemble tight. Troms come over in style.
D - effective. E - good euph - neat rhythms. F - stylish - 4/8 controlled
- good ending.
3. Eb bass not measured - flug nice sound - music flows - controlled.
B - effective. C - Some lack of detail. D - nice sop - this has
a lovely flow. E - this is impressive. Bass line moves with style.
F - still lovely flug - well done - everything is so nicely placed.
G - euph stylish. H - nice. I - tutti has a lovely flow. The ending
- nearly on final chord.
4. Exciting opening - technically assured. A - neat cornet. Xylo
fine to assist. C - not just neat - but this is fine playing. D
- sop rather flat - a pity. E - careful with tuning - the rhythm
not just tight. G - ensemble? J - careful to hold rhythm - sop still
a touch flat. Cornet semis measured. L - tempo fine - you cope nicely.
M - some lack of detail. The ending was well executed. A nice performance.
Lovely flugel playing - good soloists. Thank You
1. Nice flugel - accomp not quite together. Euph has style. Try
to spot the subtleties of dynamic mf > mp. Texture could be lighter
at C. Nice round sounds at forte though smoother please basses.
E - nearly fits - well tried - sfz not convincing.
2. A degree of bounce. B - a little forceful but dynamics noted.
I just feel melodies are forced through - be careful to balance
melody/accomp. Certainly boisterous!
3. Nice mood created - little problems of intonation to begin.
Well tried Eb bass. Some nice touches from soprano. Balance just
works before F - some indecision in accomp F (before G is pp sub!).
Nice poco meno mosso and last chord not in tune.
4. Brisk. Well done - much detail - soloists good (esp cornet).
D - tuning worries here. E - Ensemble a problem - direction lost
briefly. I - not totally successful (intonation, tempo, style) N
- better. Appreciate the tempo changes. Well tried today.